Sunday, August 5, 2018

Musique Francaise

Oui, oui mes amis! There's but a few French artists that I like. French music is interesting, be it from France or Quebec, French music has a distinct sound and even though it's part of Canada the province of Quebec literally has it's own industry that much of the rest of the country is all but oblivious to.
Sure there's been many 'break out' artists through the years, namely, Celine Dion, Jean LeLoup, Daniel Lanois and of course my personal all time favorite, the one I had a crush on since I first laid eyes on her AND I just found out a few months ago that my older Brother Scott used to freakin' hang with her... Mitsou!
So let's start with a flashback.... Bye Bye, Mon Cowboy!
Ahh, Loved her so much... In fact, when I met Sharon Dionne, she reminded me of Mitsou and I fell in teenage love with an 'older woman'.... I'll maybe write of my love for older women some day soon.

Next up, Niagara: Niagara was formed in Rennes, France by vocalist Muriel Laporte (later known as Muriel Moreno (fr)) and keyboardist Daniel Chenevez.
I first saw the band probably on Much Music, maybe on the power hour or their international music show 'Clip trip'. Then I forgot all about then until I stumbled upon Niagara much later in life on a YouTube trip, again, another beautiful woman, some of the songs were kinda cheese, but my favorite from this band was 'La fin des étoiles' (The End Of the Stars).


This next band, I remember seeing on Much Music and I HATED them! HATED! I thought, 'WHo the FUCK, gives a group like this a record deal???? How could France digest this horribly irritating music???'... Then, for some reason, the genius kicked in and I became a fan of 'Les Rita Mitsouko'

Like Niagara, Les Rita Mitsouko were from France... The first track I had seen by them, the one that set me off into long rants to myself was 'C'est Comme Ça'
That lady's voice can make your cat curl up in a ball and puke on itself! Weird'O French artists!
But it gets weirder and somehow, with my open mind I began to see the genius of guitarist Fred Chichin and the singer Catherine Ringer.

Sadly, Fred Chichin passed away in 2007 from heart failure. As weird as the band was, they had a cool vibe and got airplay World wide.
Probably my favorite track by 'Les Rita Mitsouko is 'Y'a D'la Haine! - Systeme D' which feature very  provocative and violent dance style, that I can't find the name of... But there were a bunch of different musicians around this time that used this style in their music videos.


Now let's end off with some Canadiana with a true master of music, a producer who's worked with everyone from U2 to Peter Gabriel, Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson:

I've always loved this 'making of' video with Peter Gabriel. Lanois talked about the ingredients of making a magnificent single. Plus they are working on one of my favorite tracks 'Come Talk To Me'.

I hope you all enjoyed this 'international' (all French) edition... I'ma go fall down again....

No comments:

Post a Comment