Saturday, August 11, 2018

'Awake By Sunday'

Everyone is still reeling from yesterdays horrible nay devastating incident on Brookside Dr.
I've talked to friends and family from coast to coast about it.

When Dreamkick first started playing shows, we decided instead of just throwing ourselves into the bar scene, we'd play a few all ages shows, just to tighten the unit up, get the bugs out and have some fun.
We first played the Oromocto Rec Center and the second show we played was at the Oromocto Jr. High School (Harold Peterson).
At that show there was a throng of young Rockin' dudes right up front going crazy for us and one of them was a kid named Donnie Robichaud.
From then on, Donnie was a Dreamkick 'fan', along with the Murphy brothers, Sean Callahan, Chris Polchies and many others were frequently hanging and partying with the band. We even snuck Donnie in a few bars shows (though he was 19 yet) and he accompanied us on a few trips.

When I lived in Vancouver, Donnie had got in touch with me about his band 'Awake By Sunday', he actually sent me out one of their shirts, which I've been wearing today. He said he was having a blast

In 2009 I had come home for a visit and it was like January. Chris Galbraith and I went to 'Mama's' Pub on the city's Northside to see Donnie playing with 'Awake by Sunday', as you'll tell by the video below, the guys smoked songs out. Certainly would make all the guys in Dreamkick proud to see one of our young fans growing up and kickin' ass.
While at this gig, I had this crazy feeling overwhelm me. I'd been to all kinds of concerts out West, big small, wild, tame. But the feeling in this bar was so warm, like you were among family and that's true if you go to any local show, with any genre band. There's a warmth and feeling of family in every small town where a young (or old) band is rockin' the night away.

When the Wasteland Zombies were starting to get our reunion geared up, our original bassist couldn't join us, so we had asked Donnie if he'd dig out his bass to play with us, but he had had an accident some years previous and I believe he'd broken pretty much every bone in his hand, so he just couldn't do it.

Donnie was a really good soul. We kept on running into each other at Greco donair just up the street from me. The last time we say each other he said, "We ALWAYS see you here!!" I just laughed but later I thought, 'wait a second, you're always here too!'
He was an awesome guy, a fantastic musician and a caring father to his children.

He'll be greatly missed and so will Bobbie.

Bobbie I knew through my long, long time friend Jennifer Wright. Jen and Bobbi were like Siamese twins when they were together, inseparable and unstoppable.
Bobbie was charming, bright and bubbly, I know they will both be missed. As will the two officers who gave their lives to protect the city.

Here's Donnie playing bass with his old band 'Awake By Sunday'



He also played in a Fredericton Metal band called 'Awakened', they were formed after I left Fredericton, but I hear people talk about them to this day.

Though it'd be nice to dedicate a Dreamkick song to Donnie as well.


Rest In peace my friends.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Chris. This is a very nice lil tribute to your memories of our friends. Love you, some day this will feel better.

    ReplyDelete