Saturday, April 28, 2018

The Great Flood Of Death! Part Deux 'Le Sequelle'

Had a fair bit of rain last night, enough to push the flooding to 8 meters above sea level.

It had stopped raining long before I woke up and was feeling pretty decent when I left the house.

Oh! I woke up to some hammering next door. The guy who owns the house next door had stopped by the other day, so I took the opportunity to ask if him he'd tack down the steel slats on the barn/garage they have. During the Winter a couple of the steel slats had come loose and when the storm winds blew in a certain direction it was like someone was smashing a garbage can with a baseball bat, and that's kinda hard to sleep to.
So, he had come back to tack it down! I really do appreciate decent neighbors. The owners of the house have always been great, it's just been the tenants they've ended up with.
I'm telling ya from experience, If you're gonna rent out or have room mates, nerds are the way to go. They rarely party and don't make a heckuva lot of noise unless of course you get the one's who freak out when they are playing their video games... That can be annoying, funny at first, but it wears thin.

Anyhow, so I went out to see the lay of the land today. From news and obviously from the amount of rain we got, the water wasn't going to have gone down.

I had planned to head over to Waterloo Row, closer to where I grew up to get some pix and footage but I'm glad I didn't for two reasons; The first being part of the road to where I wanted to get was underwater and I'll explain the second reason later.

So I got to University Ave. and Alexandria St. (the road I was going to take to the river) but this stopped me.

So I decided I'd head down University avenue...


Even though University Avenue was closed, people were still driving down it, and the big Emergency Measures vehicle didn't seem to deter them either.

I could see from here that way down University avenue that there was a barricade, but i really wasn't too sure what it was about until I got closer.

My next question was, did I have to end up walking back the way I came and head to the trail? Or was the water across the road down here passable.

This guy in the truck decided to disregard the barricade warnings... So what, you got a big truck...

I saw a fellow gawker that had crossed the street on the other side and was now walking past me, so that answered my question about the water. So right here at University Ave. & Shore st, it's up through the sewers


So from here I headed towards the walking bridge... I mean, it's not really a bridge that walks.... But it's underpass is usually a casualty of the flood every year as the streets 'dips' down below water level.
Though the water here is up a pretty good notch.

From here I backtracked and then headed up to the trail to the walking bridge so I could get around the water and be right at the water's edge.
There were people EVERYWHERE! I said to this older couple, that they oughta sell tickets, this was bigger than Harvest Jazz & Blues 'fest!

Was hard to get a picture without anyone in it, but I managed :)


Heading down off the walking bridge with the river licking at the trails edge.

Every bench was in the water.

Then I headed downtown, only to run into more flooding at the corner of St. John and King St.

Next stop Officer's Square

Certainly up from yesterday

And d'at's it for today.... As I had said at the beginning of the blog, I had set out to go a bit further, but was glad I didn't, after getting some errands done downtown, on my way home I really started to feel like shit, got super tired and sore. So I packed it in and came home for a nap.

I'm uploading a bunch of video in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment