Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Literature

I like to read, guess I'm from that generation of physical books. I've got a modest 'library', I'd love to have more, but I've been bouncing between physical and 'E-books'. The E-Books of course being easier to store, but there's something about having a library that I like. I don't have many guests to my place, so it's not like I like to show it off, but I guess it's somewhat of a mental accomplishment that I can look at my shelves and look at all the information I've crammed into my head.

For the longest time I've had this 'problem', well I don't see it as a problem myself but others might.
I don't really fancy reading Fiction. My notion on that is that I dislike reading someone else's fantasies.
There's been authors I do enjoy; as a kid I picked up H.P. Lovecraft's books, I have a good collection of his works and I have my prized Lovecraft piece which is a hardcover, huge Necronomicon. I never noticed it as a kid when I read it, but I am rather happy that our family name is actually mentioned in the Necronomicon's opening. I mean it's not us in particular, no relative but it does mention a man with the last name of "Waddell". I was browsing some Lovecraft stuff on Ebay years ago and came across this deluxe Necronomicon for like $20! I couldn't believe it! So I scooped it up.
I also enjoyed Clive Barker's books. Starting with the 'Books of Blood' I moved on to The Great & Secret Show, Imajica and The Thief of Always. I had a much bigger collection of Barker works but I lent them to a 'friend' when I lived in Vancouver and that 'friend' moved away and took them. Lesson learned, no one borrows books from me anymore. I was really bummed out about that. I've built the collection back up, but it's nowhere what it was and most of it was hardcover editions.
In my 20's I got into Brian Lumley's 'Necroscope' series. But eventually tired of it.
In the last couple of decades I've been reading on subjects like American intel and espionage. Cosmology, including books on Mars, Black Holes, Time Travel. More in the realm of science I've read up on parallel universes and dimensions and then of course books on my favorite subject of lost and forgotten civilizations.
I also have assorted religions texts, variations of the bibles, the koran and books on atheism.
And that's just the physical books.
In E-books I've read some fantastic works. I had been trying for a while to build up a huge e-library on the occult.
Well this sucks. As I went to search for the occult library I've built up, it's gone. I have no idea where it went or how I would have deleted it.. Fuck...

Well now i'm totally bummed out. I don't even have a list of that material.. Goddamnit. That really, really blows monkeys



1 comment:

  1. I always prefer holding a physical book over reading on a tablet as well.

    ReplyDelete