Thursday, January 3, 2019

I got IT!


Muahahaha! I got it! I had called Chapters and they weren't too sure if I had what I was looking for.. Which is kinda dumb because all they had to do was punch it in the computer... They could order me a deluxe version coming out... But, I was downtown today and happened past 'Strange Adventures' a long lived comic emporium in Fredericton. Created by a good friend of mine and my Brother Gordy back in the late 1980's.
Haven't seen Cal in years, but he moved to Halifax where there's a sister store.

Anyhow, they had just wanted I wanted, the Marvel 'Infinite Gauntlet' graphic novel and it isn't like the movie, the comic series was much, much more elaborate, with more 'heroes' involved than the movie series has... But obviously you have to scale it down.

Crazy news today. A local eatery and pub, The King St. Ale House closed today. *snap* Like that "effective immediately" is what I was told the notice said. Crazy. Doug, the owner is (again) a good friend my older Brother Scott and Andrea. I mean, not close enough that Scott and Andrea knew anything about this happening... AND, another long time restaurant and drinking hole, McGuinness landing also is closed or closing.
I was talking to Mike at Tony's Music Box today and he was saying.. And I forgot that stores name, it's like a erm lol well off people's store, suits, high end cloth/fashion, Russel Simmons? Maybe...
Anyhow, Mike was saying that a big issue is the recent increase in percentage that business owners have to pay to 'Worksafe New Brunswick, the provincial workers comp entity... And that it's higher in New Brunswick THAN anywhere else in Canada (I believe he said), something like 400 Million a year?
Anyhow, whatever the price, the cost is high for downtown and on top of all that, places like Amazon et all, Walmart etc, have been killing town's and cities for more than a decade now (Obviously less the internet 'giants).
AND on top of that, rent downtown for business, small and large is ridiculous. The owner of a business who moved out of town last Summer was telling me that, not too long ago, when the downtowns were kinda having a rebirth and interest by citizens in shopping local, that at first the business were freakin coining it. Raking in cash... Well, the landlords/owners of the buildings they rent figured this out and.. Jacked the rents... but, never helped out when economy's began to teeter....

I did 90% of my Christmas shopping in our downtown.. And I ain't asking for a medal or a cookie, but it's convenient, it's not as ridiculous as the malls or 'outlet stores'... and I want to help. I love Fredericton's downtown, it's beautiful any time of year... Just too bad it seems we're being forced not to use it.

[EDIT]
And GODdamn it! The 2019 Quadrantids meteor shower peaks tonight AND of course it's overcast!

I did get to see some of the last meteor shower, finally, almost every celestial event in 2018 had overcast skies... But with any luck tomorrow night will be clear and I'll see the down ramping of the showers

No comments:

Post a Comment