Friday, October 26, 2018

FINALLY!

[Updated]
Got my Behemoth 'I Loved You At Your Darkest' vinyl... I had not expected Dad to get into town until like 3ish, so I got up early (earlier than usual) and had just got out of the shower when Dad called and said he was in town.
He couldn't check in until 3, so we had some time to kill. So we drove over to the post office and got my vinyl, went for lunch then did some grocery shopping...

And once Dad stepped out the door, I pounced on the package from Poland!

ILYAD cover signed by Nergal (weird 'Black Metal' name). Inferno & Orion

Double vinyl album, so a strong gatefold with an absolutely stunning artwork of the band recreating the 'crucifixion'

I call a 'booklet' the kinda extra thick packaging that would come with a CD, this is a large art & lyric book

More amazing artwork with the band depicting biblical stories. Here Abraham about to kill Isaac and Saint Peter's inverted crucifixion so as to not offend christ , with lyrics to the tracks adjacent to the art.

The decapitation of John the baptist, These guys have people that pull off the wickedest of ideas dreamed up by the band. It's one thing to pull it off, but the way it's done is just brilliant and eye popping.

And then 4 of these bad boys. 'Shellac' colored. I had to take the photo where light could hit it. When I laid it out on the table it was just near black.

The album is amazing. It's still growing on me and I only really am getting into it over this last week and now with the lyric sheet I'll really dive in. Maybe it was fortuitous that it got to me this late.... Just in time for Halloween.

A company known as 'Grupa13' does a lot of Behemoth's visuals and their website can be found here: http://grupa13.pl/

I'd like to add that one must understand that the band hails from Poland and due to it's extreme visuals and lyrical content the band is under constant attack from the catholic church in Poland, which is HUGE.
Since the late 1980's there's been a wave of youth in the 'Norse' countries that are understanding of the hostile takeover by the catholic church, so they are rejecting christianity and returning to their routes and some, turning to a darker more chaotic belief system. Or in some cases, just rebelling against religion.
So this is why you see from Behemoth what some might consider passe or even juvenile artwork and vision. These guys or at least Nergal's (Adam Darski) vision is at an all out war with the catholics.
Given that the man was on his death bed at one point, a time where many in such a position might turn to 'god', Darski went the opposite way and perhaps made a 'pact with the devil' (as if 'he' exists) and since his recovery from cancer has taken up new and bolder arms against his antagonist.

It's cold as fuck outside and the Regent St. Mall has fucking snowbanks in the parking lot... They are not HUGE snowbanks, but they are snowbanks.. It's October 26th!! Not impressed... Not at all... Good thing I got music to keep me warm.



1 comment:

  1. That's some great looking artwork. Really it is. As for the color of the record, reminds me of the obsidian in Mexico, looks black until you let the sun shine though it. :-)

    ReplyDelete