Sunday, November 4, 2018

'Twas A Dark & Stormy Night.... Really!

Near 48 hours of rain, then there was, and probably should have been a wind warning for last night (Saturday Nov. 3), but the forecast in written text said "Winds up to 80km/hr" But there wasn't an actual 'Wind Warning... I had just written a reply email to the fam saying that 'high winds were forecast but would probably be a dud'....

Around 8PM the winds whipped up. I had just finished some delicious hot wings that my neighbours were so kind to offer me.

I stepped outside for a toot and noticed the winds had REALLY picked up. I looked out back towards Queens Square and it was plunged into darkness... Then...

I was out today to get a few things and didn't really see any damage, but a friend told me about an Irving gas station on the city's North-side that certainly suffered some damage:
Irving gas station on the city's North-side was severely damaged (Ed Hunter/CBC)

While Environment Canada and The Weather Network (which carries the weather statements from Environment Canada) both said that "high winds" were expected and Environment Canada's daily forecast said in text that "high winds" up to 80Km/hr could surface, I think they should have been more forward with the wind warning. The only part of the province that had a legit 'wind warning' from EV Canada was the North. 
In my video I said winds of 100km/hr were present, the CBC article on the storm said that winds reached 110km.hr in New Brunswick.

I know, I'm sorry, a lot of you have businesses, family's, small kids.. it's a headache for the power to go out. An inconvenience... But I love the storms and I don't care if the power goes out, but admittedly, when the power is out for a long time (and again, my place is usually hooked up pretty quickly) it can be annoying... 
I'm thinking this Winter is gonna be a doozy. Snow in October, the storm, not really a BIG deal, it's not like we haven't had some great storms in September, October OR November, but it's a feeling in my gutty works... Farmer's Almanac is saying a cold dry Winter with loads of snow. I forget how many storms for the season, but I do believe there's supposed to be a storm or 2 before Christmas... So that right there puts this Winter ahead of last as we didn't have significant snow until Christmas... We drove down to Saint John in a snow storm.
I still gotta pick up a small snow shovel and some salt for my steps, then I'm all set.
Albeit I'm usually prepared for emergency's, I found myself fumbling for new batteries for my flashlights and lanterns, so today I stocked up on batteries of all sizes and got a new LED light, though it's a Dollar-Rama special and isn't quite luminous as I thought it might be, so I'll hit one of the other stores tomorrow and see if I can find something a little better.

Photo of Elsa earlier. She looked all sleepy waking up from her nap. Not a bad pic for the bitchy kitty.
Still looks like she wants to rip my face off!

No comments:

Post a Comment