Wednesday, November 7, 2018

'High On Fire - Electric Messiah'

As embarrassing as a it might for a 'Metalhead' to confess that I'm a late fan of bands like 'Behemoth', 'Sleep' and Matt Pike's other band 'High on Fire', it's never too late to join the fray.

Watching several of the 'Southern California' documentaries on the 'Stoner Rock/Desert Metal' scene (How many documentaries does one scene need??), I was introduced to bands like 'Yawning Man', 'High on Fire' and 'Sleep'... having been a KYUSS fan since the release of 'Blues For The Red Sun', I was always under the notion that KYUSS was not the tip of the iceberg, but practically the only band from that area. Over the years, watching interviews with ex Kyuss members and Josh Homme of KYUSS/Queens of the Stone Age fame, I began to get the picture of just what kind of scene had influenced them in their youths in the Palm Springs area.
Great docs like 'Low Sound Desert', '420 Trainwreck', 'Such Hawks, Such Sounds', and 'Lo Sound Desert' ( I told you there were a few!), give great insight into an area of the United States, cut off from great gigs, secluded from 'Grunge' back in the day, the area around Palm Springs, sprouted amazing bands and artists because the place was a shithole. I think it's akin to many places around the globe, small backwater (or backdesert) towns in butt-fuck nowhere, kids had nothing to do but work on their 'art', it was either that or go to jail as 'idle hands are the Devil's workshop' and if that quote rings true, then the Palm Desert scene is proof in the Devil's pudding.
I've always loved the desert, even before I 'found' KYUSS it was a place we'd visited when I was in my mid teens. Driving through Death Valley, sitting on the edges of the Grand Canyon, I loved the place, I still do, if it were not for the US medical system, I'd move to Arizona, Nevada or Southern California in a heartbeat.
So a few months ago, watching all these 'Stoner Rock Docs', I heard 'High on Fire' for the first time, not like 'Sleep', 'High On Fire' is more Metal than Stoner Rock.
Formed in 1998 out of the ashes of what was left of the band 'Sleep'. The band has garnered itself a great cult following worldwide, I think Pike having been in 'Sleep' and since 'Sleep' had faded away, 'High On Fire' was the best replacement for the void that 'Sleep' left, albeit, as I noted 'High on Fire' is more Metal than 'Stoner Rock'.

'High On Fire' just released their 8th studio album 'Electric Messiah' October 9th 2018 and holy shit does it rip! Amazing album filled with tuned down low, rumbling songs about Sumerian gods, evil wizards and other 'Metal staples', the album is mind blowing.
Favorite track thus far is 'Drowning Dog'

And the title track is amazing as well:


I've got this album cranked and I'm thinking it'll be cranked for a long time!

Man, thank fukin gawd that elections over. Holy shit. There's like NO News sources that don't involve politics, since this Trump ridiculousness began, politics have been crap... and in Canada not better.
Anyhow, we got like a year or two before they ramp up to do the same thing over and over... I've said it before, but our (the World's) entire political system is broken, there's not 1, not ONE government that's not 'with' the people. Not one Nation helping it's people. Any politician that surfaces that MIGHT not be yet corrupted is soon turned.
I'm not 'anti-government', I'm not a protester, I'm not an anarchist, I just think the global system is broken and huemahnity is rotten. Could these be the 'end times', the spiral to the death of our civilization? History does repeat itself and the global mindset is much akin to the Romans.

Anyhow, I used to like politics, not so much these days, I'm more apt to read a headline of a story and jump right to the 'Comments section', just to watch the monkeys fling their shit at one another.

I'm still up for being shot off into space!

1 comment: