Monday, May 20, 2019

Of JellyFishBabies, Asexuals & Doughboys

Quite a title eh?

Way back in 1988-89? Peter Rowan, the man who started 'Dressed To Kill' Records as well as being a local promoter of MANY Punk/Hardcore, Alt-Rock and Metal shows in Fredericton who would later go on to manage Sloan and then much more recently Saint John, NB's 'Little You, Little Me' and Fredericton's 'Motherhood', put on a festival called 'The Maritime Independent Music Festival'. My first band K.G. Wolfe was lucky enough to be on the bill of this festival on the Metal/Hardcore Sunday with Neighbourhood Watch, Lizard and some other awesome bands.

But at the Friday night show, I think, might have been Sunday..., a band from Halifax played and I was BLOWN away. I couldn't get the band off my mind for a while, they were called 'The JellyFishBabies'.... After that, I never ever heard of them again.... Never stumbled across their albums, but every so often the memory returns and I search.. Well, it must have been over 5/6 years ago because 4 years ago someone on Youtube seems to have posted a music video made by the JellyFishBabies... Unbelievable!! I hadn't heard this band since that night in Fredericton so long ago... I'd like to try and track down the vinyl this band put out...
Here it is, the only song I could find by this unique sounding band... There's a weird 'Pause' before the song 'Alba' kicks in. Seems this is an upload of the original video shoot file.

The Asexuals played Fredericton off and on through the mid to late 1980's. Around 1993 when they played Fredericton I put them up at the place that Wasteland Zombies guitarist Richard O'Neil and I were renting together. TJ left his ring in the shower and I actually wore it and had hoped to run into him sometime, some day.... But I lost the ring and never ran into TJ again. Like the JellyFishBabies Asexuals were kinda Punk Pop, Post Hardcore maybe? or how about just Alt-Rock I've always been a sucker for harmonies and the Asexuals were another one of those bands that had scores of great hooks and harmonies.

The Asexuals were from Beaconsfield and were part of the Montreal 'Punk' scene. They formed in 1983 and blasted through the years with many line up changes until around 1996.
In 2010 most of the original members did a reunion show in Montreal, Wikipedia says they are still together.... Why the fuck has no one brought them back here? Oh, wait, I know why! Because you can't put a show on here and know whether 3 or 300 people will show up....


The Doughboys people MIGHT be more familiar with. MuchMusic carried their single 'Shine' which was probably their most popular 'hit' ever.
The band formed in Montreal in 1987 and like the Asexuals had a lot of member changes, including a drummer whose name was Jon Bondhead, which I think MAY have been Jesus Bonehead former drummer of the Dayglo Abortions. They did have one other mild 'hit' from their album 'Crush' and that was 'Fix me'. The Doughboys like the Asexuals played Fredericton on and off throughout the mid to late '80's and into the 1990's.


Bands like these were an essential influence for me. Leading me into finding and loving other great Alt Rock/Punk Pop bands, Redd Kross, JellyFish (No relation to JellyFishBabies) and so nany others that had that semi 'Punk' edge mixed with bright harmonies and crazy hooks.

Been a shit few days, I'm glad my brain is still functioning well enough to bring me happy memories from my past. This is my last week at age 46.... Man 47.... 3 to 50..... Where'd the time go?



3 comments:

  1. https://www.discogs.com/Jellyfishbabies-Jellyfishbabies/release/2523171

    https://www.discogs.com/Asexuals-Dish/release/1876835

    https://www.musicstack.com/records-cds/doughboys

    Break out your wallet. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I just had found a website that had all of the JellyFishBabies albums available for download, like the actual band's website. So i can scartch them off my list, but I'd still like to have it on vinyl, if that even happened

      Delete