Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Well What D'ya Know

Crazy how these little rodents have become a part of my life. So I was just outside coming back from my neighbors. Side track: I don't know about this, I haven't read it, but the female chipmunks seem (to me) to have a narrower, almost 'cutesy' face. So, there's a chipmunk up on the bird feeder and I start to head back there, the chipmunk dives off the birdfeeder, so this alerts me to think that this isn't 'Buddy' or 'Chippy', they are both brave and I haven't seen them do that kind of behavior since the Spring.
So this one dives off, but jumps up on the stoop by my 'Shack Out Back' and I offer it a peanut, it's quite hesitant, but eventually comes forward towards me. I'm wondering who this is and right when it's taking the peanut from my fingers, I see a 'dot' on it's hind end... It's the 'mother'!! I thought she had moved on or was dead... Usually what happens. I haven't seen her since the Spring. So I'm really surprised that she came to me and took the peanut from my hand because she had 'disappeared' before we got to that point. So that's very ... heartwarming that she's still around.

BREAKING NEWS!  - Just got video of the 'mom' feeding from my hand!

Earlier this morning when I first ran into Buddy, he came out from under the fence and had a mouthful of leaves and debris, this is the first I've seen of this, so I'm guessing that Buddy is getting ready for Winter, probably getting a lot cooler underground at night, in fact i think I saw a 'high' of +5C for tomorrow morning. Oh, I was wrong, i thought I read that they don't 'hibernate' during Winter, they do, BUT not for the whole season and you may see them out on 'warmer' Winter days.

I had planned on putting a stake or some kind of marker beside the hole he's been using for the backyard and kinda keep a watch to see when/if he comes out.. Though I imagine with the knowledge of showing it's face it gets a peanut, so he may be out this Winter.. We'll see.

Extra bonus video! Blog exclusive!! Only available on this blog!

Ain't she cute!? Until she slices into your hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment