Sunday, September 23, 2018

"It's Your Money I'm After Baby"

During the early 1990's, along with a whole slew of Metal, Grunge, Pop and Rock, I got into a lot of 'Alternative Rock'.
Some of the bands, like Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Redd Kross, School Of Fish, Jesus Jones, Asexuals, Change of Heart, Blind Melon, Eels, Ween, Weezer and of course, The Wonderstuff.

Hailing from Stourbridge, in the West Midlands of the UK. Miles Hunt, is the son of Bill Hunt who was the keyboard player for early ELO/Wizzard along with Malcom Treece, Bob Jones and Martin Gilks.
The band was kinda Folk Rock, but more towards the 'Rock' side of things. They started off soft and grew large. The album that really turned me onto the band was 'Never Loved Elvis' released in 1990.
The single 'Size of a Cow' propelled the band into international recognition, but nothing, ever could touch the scale of their live shows in the homeland..
Seeing thousands of sweaty alt-Rock kids bouncing along with the band became a signature to their Euro shows.
'Construction For The Modern Idiot' released in 1993 and saw the band tour into 1994, when sadly, as it seemed they could only get bigger, they called it quits.

I used to walk to work everyday in 1993, and I worked way out on the highway at an NB Power building that was several kilometers from my Mom's place on Glenngary.
Each day I'd set out with my walkman, loaded with 'Never loved Elvis' and would walk to this song.
(Watch the audience in this video)

That's some pumpin music. The bands mix of Folk and Rock brought them on tour with Canadians 'Spirit of the West', and some of those members actually ended up recording and going on tour with the Wonderstuff.

THAT song would lead into 'Play' the second track off the album... Another amazing 'walking' song.

I could go through almost every album song by song, all hits to me, but I'll leave you with two more to explore.
'Here Comes Everyone', "If they fast die young, you'd make a good looking corpse"

Ok, I lied a couple more.... 'Unbearable'... I Didn't like you very much when I met, and now I like you even less...."

And last but not least, 'On The Ropes' from 'Construction For The Modern Idiot'...
Sadly, since the band broke up in 1994 I never for to see them live. They would have been on my bucket list for sure. I did get to see Ned's Atomic Dustbin though and they were another one of my favorites of the time period... Check out 'Walking Through Syrup'... The jawdropping, ear melting thing about Ned's Atomic Dustbin was they had TWO bass players, kinda like a lead and rhythm bass..
Plus Ned's used loads of great samples, from Clive Barker's 'Nightbreed' to 'The Wickerman'

Ahh great days and great music.

Now here's Buddy on my lap !

Now piss off my back's fukin' killing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment