Thursday, September 13, 2018

Surprise!!!

Well I got the surprise of the Fall just a couple of hours ago... I had just got done dumping a bucket of soapy water on the nests of fuking nest of Alder box beetles, when I saw there was a chipmunk grabbing seed off the ground under the bird feeder... As I approached it took off and stopped... I did my 'peanut call' and it kinda stood up and looked at me, it was then I noticed that it was tiny!

A baby chipmunk!! So I tossed some peanuts it's way and it didn't even notice them (probably has no clue as to what they are)... It filled up on seed and took off. I'm sure i'll see it again sometime.. So maybe before 'hibernation' it'll be feeding from my hand.

'Buddy' was kinda choked earlier, he had gone down his hole and Noid showed up and as i was giving noid a peanut I looked over and Buddy was coming out of his hole.. Noid took off and Buddy started to come forward and kinda stopped a ways from me and looked at me with a kinda "What the FUCK dude???".... So I explained to Buddy that he wasn't the ONLY chipmunk around here and god knows he's got more peanuts than any chipmunk in the city! I'm pretty sure he'll be stocked up to Winter 2021 at this point!

This happened on my walk:

Willow trees, I think, like Fredericton is known for it's "stately elms" (Elm trees), the 'Green' is know for it's massive Willow trees. I tried to find a good old photo online. I must have seen it at the art gallery or somewhere, but I've seen this old photo, like 1700's/1800's photo of the 'Green' and it's huge Willow trees. When I'm walking along the green looking at the Willows there with the Saint John river behind it, I picture what the first people's thought of this beautiful scene and the first intruders that founded the city. It's really quite wondrous, which is why I'm a little worried.

This Willow trees, just past the art gallery, probably the backdrop for millions of wedding, graduation, engagement, first dates photos, used to have another huge branch going off in the opposite direction. I can't remember if it was just lightning or hurricane 'Arthur' that took out that massive branch, but now it's just one side and who knows what kind of strain having it's other massive limb torn from itself is causing.

When I walk along the green, I don't see new Willow trees, I don't see one. Just the huge ones... So, if during other storms or lightning, snow... these old ones should fall, we'll be devoid of these beautiful massive trees, with it's long strands of leaves that one can literally grab onto and swing on.. The are beautiful river trees and the scene would just not be the same without them (albeit, if you never knew they had been there, you'd not notice the difference!)

Then just beside the entrance to the walking bridge on the Southside there's this beautiful Willow. It too has sustained storm damage.

Save the Willow trees!!!


And... Nothing but the kitchen sink


Oh yeah! Oops ... The hurricane! I was right! OR! The Youtube channel I was onto last night was right and the windsheer's demoted the hurricane from a Cat 4 to a Cat 2... STILL, it's like 600 miles across, a LOT of rain is gonna fall. Still could be some pretty significant winds.. At least it won't be
AS horrible if it had come in as a Cat 4/5 that woulda been pretty horrific damage... Still hope all are safe!~

No comments:

Post a Comment