Thursday, September 6, 2018

H.P. Lovecraft, Burt Reynolds & the Critters

[Oh yeah, the Critters! Check back in 10 for an update...]

Bet no one would have ever thought they'd see Lovecraft and Burt Reynolds in the same sentence..erm title...
Anyhow, came across a really good H.P. Lovecraft documentary/biography the other night. One thing I didn't agree with was that there was racism in his stories (some of them)... He may have been of that nature as a person, but I certainly never picked up on it in his stories. Sure maybe some minor things here and there, but nothing more than Tom Sawyer or any other story from back in the day and I mean, when we're talking Lovecraft we're talking in the early 1900's.. It is NO excuse for racism, I just thing you need to have the context.

Check this out if you have the time and interest.

Ahh Burt Reynolds... I got a Burt Reynolds story....
When we were young and Dad had his sailboat, different times throughout our upbringing he had the boat moored at different harbours. At one point Mactaquac, the Fredericton harbour past the Princess Margaret bridge, the marina in Oromocto and the harbour at Grand lake.
So one Summer at Grand Lake, we come in from out sailing and there's this GINORMOUS pleasure cruiser, big honking motorboat. We'd not seen anything that size before in these parts. So when we asked the gas jockey about it, it turned out to be Burt and Loni Anderson's boat, they had come up the Atlantic coast from Florida or somethin.
So, no, we never saw hide nor hair of either of them, but we saw the boat!

Love watching old flicks like 'Cannonball Run' and 'Smokey In the Bandit'... Certainly 'Americana', that great decade of movie over indulgence of fast cars, women, booze, drugs and comedy.
Love my life up unto this point, the good the bad and the ugly, but what a time the 1980's were. The 1990's had a blast too, but the '80's were really something crazy. All those great movies, TV shows, music.
Rest in peace Burt, ya done some funny shit.


Feeling pretty accomplished. In the last week, all of the chipmunks from this Spring, have returned out of nowhere.
The first visitor was Chippy. I never got to hand feed Chippy before he 'disappeared' on me and I didn't see him until what was it, last month. I mean, the guys so fat now, he's probably sending Skit and the mom around for food because he's too bloated to move - Except for when I saw him last week here. The 'mom' of course I saw for a bit after the babies were born, then she disappeared too, until also recently.
I seriously thought she might've gotten taken out by a cat that I had seen around the fence in late Spring, but she totally blew me away the other day showing up. Her name was 'Skit'. The 'baby' not, Buddy, but I think I called it 'Noid' because it was paranoid and skittish. It's actually come back after disappearing too. Now I had not read anythig about the 'family getting back together' for Winter, but seriously I didn't see any of the 'munks but Buddy. I thought 'Noid had possibly been killed by the cat too. But Noids actually fed from my hand at least times since yesterday's return.
And then of course there's Buddy. I'm betting he won't be sleeping much this Winter knowing I'll be out there worrying about him haha. Dang rodents.....

No comments:

Post a Comment