Monday, June 25, 2018

Walk

A good walk this evening. Sometimes I see nobody on the walk, other times I run into everyone!

Just along the trail that runs parallel with University ave, coincidentally, I ran into Becky Sullivan and her husband. Becky is the building manager of the Student Union Building at UNB campus. She's awesome. While as music director it wasn't my job to deal with Becky, but we talked a lot, had issues that we sorted out. She's amazingly smart and she takes no shit from anyone. After I had left the station last Fall, I hadn't seen her in quite some time, then we started to run into each other while out on our walks. So I've explained, more or less why I left the station. She was concerned about me because she knew how passionate I was/am about CHSR.
So it was nice to run into her and her partner, I'm so bad, I can't remember his name, but tonight he was telling me that he had guessed by my last name that Prof. Waddell, whom he had for Economics in university was my Father. It was great to see her, I've got to get up to the SUB soon to see everyone, it's been far too long and overdue.

Then right before the walking bridge I ran into Rob Scholl, he lives right there by the bridge, so I run into him quite often. Always great to talk with Rob. While not a musician himself, he's got great knowledge of the scene and beyond. He's a graphic artist by trade and does amazing work. He did the Crazy Train logo and did some enhancements of Wasteland Zombies artwork. If you are a musician, in a band and need some posters, logos, flyers, album covers... Contact Rob Scholl on FB. As I said he does amazing work. Super talented guy.

Then on the overpass before the walking bridge, there was an elderly gentlemen with his wife and I assume daughter and as I approached then, I could see him looking at my shirt and his facial expression change from bewilderment to shock.. He started to speak and made motions about my shirt... So I removed my headphones and he was saying that my shirt was shocking and horrific!

What shirt was I wearing? This one:
This is the Behemoth 'The Satanist Sigil' long sleeve. Of course it has a big'ish upside-down cross on it, so that's probably what was causing him to have mental convulsions about it.
I just told him that it was a Polish Heavy Metal band and that it is just images.... Then I put my headphones back on and walked on.... I don't wear these shirts to shock or upset people, that's just a bonus. I wear them because I love the artwork and I like to support the band. I've always loved art and I've spoken in past blogs about my interest in Occult and dark artworks. In the end, if you don't like it, turn your head... The human head has the ability to turn it's head about 90°... So, you got lots of room to look away.. You can even use your eyes to look away, upwards, downwards, to the sides....

Next, close to Queens Square, someone looked like they were about to overtake me by walking off on the grass... That person turned out to be Bruce Watson. Bruce is an old acquaintance going back to the days when I hung out with Neighbourhood Watch and the Punks/Skaters.
So we got to talking and Bruce does a lot of work for the Tay Creek Folk festival... Not quite my cup 'o tea, but he was mentioning that he has to get posters up...
I told him that when I was on Facebook that I had put it out there, on my personal page, on the Crazy Train page on the Fredericton Metal page, that I would poster for any bands who wanted the help and NO ONE has EVER taken me up on that. The only person who ever has is Jay Chetwyn who does the Maritime Metal & Hard Rock festival (and sometimes he didn't even send me posters)....
I find it's one of the biggest problems with bands these days. They are fucking lazy and fuck. "Oh, I'll just share it on Facebook and other social media sites".... Yeah ok, you do that and wonder why 5 people show up.
'Back in the day', we'd poster the fuck out of this city and usually the cities we were going to play in (but only going as far as Moncton and Saint John)... We'd usually take the opportunity to do some skateboarding in those cities as we put up posters.
Anyhow, Bruce took me up on my offer, gave me a couple posters to get me started.

Now I'm home, dealing with red ants in my kitchen... But my great neighbor Brad has this concoction of detergent, sugar and water that will apparently kill the ants DEAD. They even take the sugary bits of death back to their nests and it wipes those out too!

Dad's coming this week. Gordie says he's hoping they'll get his sailboat in the water by weeks end. His sailboat is large enough that it can't just be back into the water by trailer, it has to be lifted by crane and plopped in the water. The Saint John marina got nuked by the flood so they've been somewhat behind in the Spring launching. But it sounds like it should be sea-worthy by the time Dad and I head down to Saint John on Friday or Saturday.... I'm expecting to get a call from Dad tonight, probably to nail down our plans.

And that's it for today! How about some Foo Fighters?

Walk
Foo Fighters

A million miles away
Your signal in the distance
To whom it may concern
I think I lost my way
Getting good at starting over
Every time that I return

Learning to walk again
I believe I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?
Learning to talk again
Can't you see I've waited long enough?
Where do I begin?

Do you remember the days?
We built these paper mountains
Then sat and watched them burn
I think I found my place
Can't you feel it growing stronger
Little conquerors

Learning to walk again
I believe I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?
Learning to talk again
I believe I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?

Now,
For the very first time
Don't you pay no mind
Set me free, again

To keep alive, a moment at a time
That's still inside, a whisper to a riot
The sacrifice, the knowing to survive
The first decline, another state of mind
I'm on my knees, I'm praying for a sign

Forever, whenever, I never wanna die
I never wanna die
I never wanna die
I'm on my knees, I never wanna die
I'm dancing on my grave
I'm running through the fire

Forever, whenever
I never wanna die
I never wanna leave
I'll never say goodbye
Forever, whenever
Forever, whenever
Learning to walk again

I believe I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?

Learning to talk again
Can't you see I've waited long enough?

Where do I begin?

Learning to walk again
I believe I've waited long enough
Learning to talk again
Can't you see I've waited long enough?

Songwriters: David Eric Grohl / Taylor Hawkins / Christopher A. Shiflett / Nate Mendel / Pat Smear
Walk lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group

No comments:

Post a Comment