Thursday, June 7, 2018

Holy Carp! The New Dumpster Mummy

What, is a 'Dumpster Mummy'? One might ask... Dumpster Mummy is an incredible band from Halifax Nova Scotia. The band has consisted of guitarist Brad Holmans and Bassist Gilbert Lavery, and I believe Ben Banks is the original drummer. I know one thing for certain, Fredericton's Cujo Bonvie IS NOT the original vocalist.

The band's gone through turbulent times since their beginnings. Mostly due to a revolving door of vocalists. I think the first time I caught Dumpster Mummy at UNB's 'The Cellar' pub, they didn't have a vocalist or he was sick, but they played their set as an instrumental and that was mind blowing.
The vocalist on 'Life Compactor', their 2014 release was Willie Coish, not sure what became of him, if I'm recalling correctly, he was quite an amazing front man... I've caught the band several times in Fredericton here and also a few times at the Maritime Metal & Hard Rock festival in Nova Scotia, always a pleasure to see and always great guys to talk to.

The band's been nominated and I believe they've won several East Coast awards for their works. Brad's guitar style is / has got to be the most unique style since Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine.
I think he had told Johnny James at the Maritime Metal & Hard Rock 'fest that he doesn't even listen to Metal at all, so he's not influenced by anything or anyone. He's got on helluva style for sure. You can recognize a Dumpster Mummy song straight up.

Now, onto Cujo. This guy, from Fredericton has clawed his way up through the ranks of bands over the last 3/4 years. Like Tyson Davidson, he reminds me of myself at that age, young, eager, open minded and set to take on the World. Taking the vocals of Dumpster Mummy is a major coup for him and I couldn't be more proud and happy for him.
The new album, "Dumpster Mummy 2" sounds fantastic and is filled with all the hooks and turns, twists and contortions we've come to know and love hearing from this group of talented guys.

You can check out and buy the new album at their Bandcamp site: 

No comments:

Post a Comment