Thursday, June 14, 2018

American Nightmare...

No, in fact this blog entry has nothing to do with 'Trump' or the state of the United States.

'American Nightmare' is the last track on the Misfits album 'Legacy Of Brutality'.

Danzig always seemed to have an air of Elvis about him and this song could be taken as a nod towards the 'King'.
Along with 'Children In Heat' it's probably my favorite Misfits songs.

Sadly, when I got to see the Misfits live there was only... hehe, Jerry Only as an original member in the band. It was a highlight that Marky Ramone, on and off drummer of the Ramones was on the kit at this time, with Dez from Black Flag on guitar.. So what was special was that with these famous musicians backing Only, they played a few Ramones and Black Flag songs, but we didn't get to hear anything like 'Children In Heat' or 'American Nightmare'.

I've had this notion of doing some special recordings with some local artists. At one point I was supposed to do some 'guest' vocals with one of my favorite local Metal bands 'Rifium', but I don't know what ever became of that... My sudden dropping of everything, my health, may have cut me out of that opportunity... Not really too sure... I was really excited to see what they'd ask me to sing on...

I've also been asked by a local Folk band to sing on a track of theirs, but as it is up in the air at this time, I won't say anymore about that.

So, what would I like to do? I'd LOVE to record a version of 'American Nightmare' with 'The Hypochonriacs' a local 'Rockabilly' band fronted by the super talented Josh Bravener. It also would be cool to do Elvis' 'Suspicious Minds'... as it's my favorite Elvis song and Josh grew up as a 'mini-Elvis' impersonator... So he might just be into that. If someone close to Josh reads this and wants to throw the bug in his ear.... I wouldn't be opposed to it...

Obviously, I'm not a huge Country fan, I wouldn't even couch myself as a small Country fan... There's some old Elvis and Dwight Yoakam songs I really dig (one being Yoakam's cover of 'Suspicious Minds').

Here's me performing at a karaoke bar (Karaoke IS the Antichrist of music, just to be clear on that)...
There's some cringe worthy moments I admit, but as anyone knows, unless you're a frequent Karaoker, then it's really just going in blind, not practicing a song before you get up, dead sober in front of strangers singing a song the 'King' wrote... That's my excuse and I'm stickin to it!... Also, it's recorded by my mightly drunken Brother Gordie....


So that's a couple of musical ventures I'd like to do before I die haha.. No I'm not expecting to kick off anytime soon, but ya never know.... At 46 I'm probably closer to the grave than to birth....

Please do check out, if you've never before, Josh Bravener and his Hypochondriacs, as well as a local rising 'legend' Richie Young and the Crossroad Devils.


And here's the Misfits 'American Nightmare':

American Nightmare
The Misfits

Hot cherry on Friday night
When the sun goes down my spine
I put an axe in my baby's head
I'm gonna end up doing time

She looks so good in red
American nightmare running scared

She shoulda been hard to get
She shoulda been hard to kill
She shoulda been hard to kill, hey

I had to split your head
American nightmare running scared

I'm heading down the highway
Sign has three inverted nines
If the lord don't get me the devil will
But not without a fight

This highway never fucking ends
American nightmare running scared
American nightmare running scared

I'm heading down the highway
Sign has three inverted nines
If the lord don't get me the devil will
But not without a fight

This highway never fucking ends
American nightmare running scared
Hey, American nightmare running scared

No comments:

Post a Comment