Thursday, February 21, 2019

The Recording Session [Complete... As in 'Finished]

Josj Sangster picked me up just after 1 and we were off to Nasonworth to the studio. It wasn't a 'snowstorm' today and when we were heading out it wasn't really snowing, but the roads were not THE greatest, worse on the way back probably.
Josh went first (as his vocal part is before mine) and I recorded him laying down his tracks. He's got a fantastic voice. You can check out his Bandcamp page here:

https://joshsangster.bandcamp.com/

After we heard his track played back, I was up at bat and Josh recorded my part. It was pretty quick, it's not a long song and we're just doing vocals.

I kinda shot myself in the foot. See, my DSLR camera, the files it makes are big and kick ass in quality dept.. When I've been doing video that have those files, I've been doing with them with Windows MovieMaker. It's a simple video editing program and it fits my needs BUT it doesn't seem to dig the DSLR camera files... I've had MANY a editing session, even with saving, where all of sudden EVERY file flips to be "Corrupt"... And HOURS of editing is down the drain... SO I'm a little leery to try and edit something together..... And the RAW videos, well that'd just be unprofessional and I'd rather kinda just be a 'teaser' video than flopping out the whole thing...

I do have some 'powerful' editing software but it's LOL kinda overkill and a bit intimidating to use... I'll see what I can do... Didn't take any photo's except this one:

I'm 'nervous' about the recording studio. I always have been. Despite being somewhat technically inclined, I've never felt at home in a studio, it's not MY domain, my place has been onstage or practicing... In the studio, it's a different animal and you can't 'hold' the mic, live you can bounce around the fucking place... But in the studio, I feel like I've been shackled down and it's always been difficult for me to channel the 'power' and produce the 'voice' I do live. I have always kinda felt I can't ask questions, which I know is wrong.
But today was a bit different, it was all different actually. With the band, of course you've written, rehearsed, played your song inside and out by the time you hit the studio (at least in the format I've always followed) it's a well oiled piece. This time, the music is all done, there's vocals on the demo I've learned from, so I actually had a couple ideas, for not just my part by Josh's too. I was happy I voiced those 'thoughts' as they were put to use. As for my part, I've got the 'after recording doubts'... 'Did I do good enough?' 'Can I do better?'. But I'll wait for the first mix... I don't think I bombed, I think I did very well and IF for some reason the mixes don't sit with me, we've been asked to let him know and I can go back or Josh can. But I think it'll be fine. It's natural to feel the way I do and with recording as 'easy' as it is today, it's no problem to do a million takes if you need to get it right. Back in the day, when it was 'tape', you were paying through the teeth and by the hour usually and so it was pressure to get it done right in as quick as time possible.
When we recorded 'Spread Your Wings' with Jake Duffie, I'd be getting sent mixes from Jake, but then every so often there'd be a "new solo mix" and it was like, 'Wait a second? Who's re-doing their solos?' lol... And Jamie was 'sneaking in' and upgrading his solos and it was like, 'You know, you have to just settle and be happy with it at some point'.. That's the way it's gonna go down on the record and unless it's something REALLY, REALLY bad, it's just GNAWING at you, ok, but otherwise.. It's DONE! lol.

Now, to video or not video!

1 comment: