Friday, December 14, 2018

'Boston' The band & Elsa.... That Cat...

I don't remember where I probably first heard 'Foreplay' and 'Longtime'.... Maybe on CHSR.... Or while traveling when I was young. But I DO remember finding out who played that insane piece of astounding Rock!
Listen to 'Foreplay/Longtime' while you read this entry!


In 1988 it was just my Father and I who drove out West for our, what had become, annual Summer time journey to Victoria BC by car. The consecutive Summer's since 1986, my Brother's and I had got in Dad's car and drove across the continent and it was all 3 of us in '86, just Gordie and I in '87 and just myself in '88 and then in '89 I moved out by myself... But that's another story.

Each and every time I was stoked to go... Are you kidding? Stuck in a car with all your Brother's... It was hard, but we lived through it, there ain't no place to go on a 7/8 hour a day car drive haha.
What we got to see, I can never ever thank my Father enough for those trips. Mind expanding shit.

So, 1988 Dad and I roll into Victoria BC, by then I was a Victoria and surrounding area pro, each Summer we had stayed in a different place, different part of town... 1987 was my favorite, Dad, got his two teen Son's and him a place on a street that led to 'Willow's' beach, like THE beach in Oak Bay an affluent suburb of Victoria.. That Summer was crazy fun.. Ask Gordie sometime about the beach party he passed out at and they propped him up against a Stop sign and tied his hair in a knot behind his around, trapping him to the 'Stop' sign .... I wasn't there for that, but you can count I laughed my fuckin ass off...

In '88, we had another place in Oak Bay, the place is kinda like Fredericton, but on the Pacific ocean , beautiful town. Amazing homes, beautiful parks, the ocean... So it was another bit of paradise.

I can't recall, how it came about, but Dad had given me a bag of cassettes that I THINK, came from my Cousin Greg Waddell.... But I'm not sure, it doesn't make sense as to why Dad gave me them when we got to Victoria, unless he'd given them to me before but I had only a Walkman as a cassette player....
One one of these tapes was Boston's self titled album... When I heard 'Foreplay/Longtime'... Mind melted, brain was hooked... Outstanding harmonies, so many hooks per song that's almost unbelievable.
Thom Sholtz, is not only a genuine gifted guitarist and song writer, but he's also an inventor.. The man built most of his own gear, including custom pedals and keyboards... The guys a freakin' genius!
Then to have a singer like Brad Delp, rest his soul... His vocal range was just about unsurpassed in Rock. I mean there's a plethora of mind blowing Rock singers, but Delp's power and range sent shivers down my spine, they still do. I don' think I give this album enough credit.

Now, this is a mega clash, a massive musical pile-up, because through the year of 87/88 I had become completely immersed in Hardcore Punk, Crossover (of Hardcore & Metal) and still loads of new Heavy Metal bands... I did 'hide' a lot of stuff that I listened to to friends, because Boston and the like, they were what caused the Punk scene to rebel. They hated these highly produced, super long in length songs, mega guitar solos... That's what birthed the Punk Rock scene, kids were sick of these over-bloated Rock song's their parents were 'grooving to man'!

But I"m a sucker for harmonies and Boston's bleeding with them.. They are a crazy looking band, mostly because their drummer at one time, who looks like he's about 7/1 had this massive afro... The bassist in each video looked like he'd snorted the coke table in the blue room all to himself... But, even though people will and do, you can't deny the Rock... Goddamn,, I see bands like the Foo Fighter's and Queens of the Stone Age as the Boston and ELO of our time now.
And this was still a time when every single song on a band's album was killer, no filler! From start to stop, flip the side and play it over and over again. Boston is amazing... I'm not a big Kansas, Styxx or
Journey fan.... Boston just happened at a special time in my life and it hooked me. Delp was a big inspiration for me, I mean, c'mon, you can't deny the man could sing. Like you're just being a dick if you think he 'sucked' or 'couldn't sing'.... Too bad he struggled with deep depression for most of his life.
Stellar track after track from More Than A Feeling, Peace of Mind, which I think we did a cover of in the Wasteland Zombies, I know we did a Boston tune, but I don't think for long, if you can't sing like someone like Brad Delp, you probably shouldn't be covering his songs lol... I didn't mangle it, but it wasn't a strong cover for us.
Rockin'Roll Band, Smokin' Hitchin' a Ride...ON and on and on and on.. And then the follow up, 'Don't Look Back' was equally as astounding as Boston's debut release.
I saw Jack Black talking about how certain bands have like this bottle of fizz and they can shake it up and that magic fizz pours out and out, album after album.... But bands like Boston, Toto, Triumph, Styxx, their time was coming to an end as the 80's Pop single, the New Wave of British ..erm New Wave, synth Pop and Rock for radio had come, then soon after M.tv... People didn't have time for th long played out, but ridiculously amazing, song's of the '70's, this was the '80's cocaine and speed man, you got shit to do!
Me, I laid there with headphones on, laying on a floor of a house in Victoria BC.... Blastin' Boston, smelling the sea air... The Summer of 'JJ' was just beginning.



- -

This cat! damn it. Maybe it's because she's a woman.. I  dunno.... But I buy wet and dry food for her. So most of the time, she doesn't want either... She doesn't eat a lot.. Until she does... The wet food, she wants it, but most of the time like a bit on a small spoon is enough for her and I can barely keep cans from going rotten   because she's just not eating it...And then, all of a sudden. she's breezing through cans... This morning I opened a can and it's almost done already and while a lot of food for a cat is normal for some, not so for her... I had asked my vet when we spoke last about how long a can should last... And he was saying like  day or two and I laughed because Elsa can stretch a single can out for like almost a week lol... and I got her two flavors and kinda switch back and forth... Finicky bitch!


Found this on my phone... I dunno when I took that hahah... Winter beard coming in


No comments:

Post a Comment