Wednesday, December 13, 2017

'Who Are You?'




In the 1990's, there was a compilation released of band's doing cover's of Black Sabbath
songs...
 Sabbath of course being one of the forerunners of 'Heavy Metal', each and every Rock,
Hard Rock, Metal and all of their sub-genres are influenced by Black Sabbath in some
fashion.
It's been said of Sabbath's 'evil' guitarist Tonny Iommi, that he had wrote EVERY single
'Heavy' riff there was to write and that all other 'Metal' songs are just variations in some
form of a Sabbath riff...
After the release of 'Nativity In Black' in 1994, which included bands such as: Biohazard performing 'After Forever', 10,000 Homo Dj's performing 'Supernaut', Type 'O' Negative performing 'Black Sabbath', Sepultura performing 'Symptom Of the Universe' and many
others... The highlight of this album was the 10,000 Homo Dj's... But their cover of
 'Supernaut', an incredibly heavy Sabbath song in it's own right, was MIND blowing...
 I thought at the time that was perhaps the pinnacle of "heaviness' in music..... Until I found another Black Sabbath compilation...
'Master's of Misery' was put out in 1997 by Earache records... and it drove Sabbath to a
whole new depth of just how "Heavy" their songs could go. A lot of the bands on this comp
 you'd probably not even recognize,
With band's like, Sleep, Brutal Truth, Pitch Shifter, Fudge Tunnel and my personal fave
of this bunch 'OLD'... 
In 1997, The genres of technical Death Metal, Industrial Metal, Stoner Rock and pure
Black Metal had merged and in this comp, they harnessed what was 'Evil' from Sabbath
 and ripped the Earth wide open to release a virtual Hell on Earth....
I had lost that Earache compilation and I'd also forgotten which song it was and by who I
was so obsessed at the time... Through the years since then, I'd search and looked at
all the 'Sabbath' tribute albums, but I was mixed up, I thought the song I was looking for
was a cover of 'The Wizard', because it's a perty evil tune... But I was wrong and earlier
I found that song that I was looking for....
Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you 'OLD' performing Sabbath's 'Who Are You' -
For some reason I couldn't embed the video, I'll try later... That made this really anti-climatic!!

Well that sucks... This 'Blog' has an 'insert' video feature, where you can: 1. Upload a vid from
your computer. 2. Insert a Youtube video 3. Select on of your Youtube videos... But I can't get the
'Insert a Youtube video 'search' to bring up the video to OLD's version of 'Who Are You?'....
Can't find it at all. I tried the direct link, I tried all the words in different variations.. But to no
avail... Also, for some reason, it appears this blog entry is running over the sides and well it's
all formatted weird! Dang internet!


No comments:

Post a Comment